Need help?

In this page you will find the most common questions and answers regarding our orders and jewellery. If you still can’t find what you’re looking for email us at [email protected] or visit our contact page


We partner with Stripe, PayPal and several banks to accept all major currencies. We gladly accept payments through Paypal, Credit/Debit Cards, Google Pay, Apple Pay, and Bank transfer.
If you decide to pay through bank transfer, please double check that the details are correct as we won’t be able to refund you if you accidentally send the money somewhere else. We will ship the jewellery once the funds will reach our account, it might take a few extra days depending on bank and circuit.

Our website and checkout page use SSL, which ensures that all data you send us is fully encrypted and shielded. Payments are processed by our trusted partners like PayPal and Visa/Mastercard through Stripe, so we won’t have access to your card numbers or other sensitive data.

Sorry about that! First make sure that your billing details are correct, if you’re still having trouble please contact your bank to get more details about the issue. If they aren’t able to help you drop us a message and we will look into it!

We’ve made that very easy! When you go to the checkout page the options to use a coupon will be right at the top. Please make sure that your items are eligible for the type of coupon you have!


Depending on where you are ordering from it could take between 3 to 14 business day to arrive. Here are some rough estimates:

UK & EU: 2-5 Business days

USA, Canada, Central and South America: 5-10 Business days

Asia & Oceania: 7-14 business days

All shipping times do not account for unforeseen delays on the courier’s end. 

We ship to almost any country, with some exceptions: Currently we aren’t able to deliver to Singapore, Indonesia, South Africa, Bonaire, French Guiana, French Polinesia, India, Brazil, Tanzania, Polynesia; Martinique, Myanmar, Reunion, Somalia, South Sudan, Syria, Tokelau, Turkmenistan, Yemen.

On all orders above 80 GBP or 90 EUR or 100 USD shipment is on us! 

For orders below these amounts, there’s a shipping flat rate of 5 GBP to orders within Europe and 8 GBP for orders to the US, Asia and Oceania. 

You’ve chosen the perfect present for a loved one and want to make sure it will have that WOW! effect? You chose the right brand. Our sustainable packaging is gorgeous and we do not include invoices or price info when shipping.

In the rare occasion that one of our parcel is held at customs, such costs are beyond our control and we are not responsible for duties or taxes applied to your packages.

In the rare case your parcel is held at customs and they ask for an invoice, kindly forward your email receipt and order number to them, you’ll receive one when you order. 

If you should decide to decline a package you will be refunded minus a fee for returning the item to us and restocking it.

For some international shipments, website prices are exclusive of sales tax. VAT is not collected at checkout. Zava is not responsible for VAT and customs fees which will be charged to the customer directly by the shipping service provider.


Yes! We want you to be 100% satisfied, in case there’s something you’re not happy about, we will make things right.

Just send us an email within 30 days from when you receive your jewellery saying you’d like a refund. We will get back to you with instructions on how to go ahead. 

Please note: For a return to be accepted you will have to send back the intact original packaging. In case you used our promotional materials such as stickers and can’t return them, it’s ok. We require the original bag to be sent back with the Jewellery though. If you can’t and still want a refund, get in touch and we will tell you how to proceed.

As soon as we receive the item, we will check its condition and issue a refund.

Quality & Materials

Absolutely! All our gemstones are authentic, transparency and quality on materials is very important to us. 

Our jewellery is made from a range of metals including 925 Sterling Silver or brass. All our jewellery is nickel free.

We pride ourselves on responsible sourcing and work with gemstone dealers that we have audited and fully trust. We give back by planting a tree with each order. Most of the silver is recycled.

Countries of origin depend on the gemstone and where it’s found and mined, we mostly source from India, Czech Republic, Thailand, Mexico and Australia.

Sterling Silver is an alloy of minimum 92.5% Silver. The remaining up to 7.5% is copper. The copper might slightly tarnish over time and leave a superficial mark on your skin. Such marks are very easily washed with water and soap. 

You can bring your piece back to its original colour with a jewellery polishing cloth. 

Any side effect caused by the natural properties of our metals and stones is temporary, unavoidable and not eligible for a refund.